Whatever your fleet’s size, optimising your operations can improve performance and day-to-day management. Grow the efficiency of your business with WABCO.
Ensuring every aspect of your daily fleet operations are performing at their optimum level is a priority, whether you run a business with five or 500 trucks. From load, mileage and planning optimisation, to vehicle maintenance, workforce management, customer satisfaction and compliance, ensuring everything runs like clockwork is key to success.
International fleet operations are big business, with the global heavy duty truck market expected to grow from $120 billion in 2018 to $160 billion by 2025 – propelled by a rising logistics industry, improved infrastructure and government investment.
New technologies, growing consumer demand and regulation changes are providing a lot of opportunities for fleets to improve their operations. Various factors impact fleet management and there are actions you can take to optimise your operations and improve performance.
What is fleet optimisation?
Fleet optimisation is the process of ensuring every aspect of your operation is running as efficiently as possible from start to finish.
Optimising fleet operations begins with ensuring load, mileage and planning are all efficient. It also ensures vehicle maintenance and workforce management are running as best they can to meet customer satisfaction and compliance standards.
Implementing processes and utilising tech available can help fleet managers have a good overview of your fleet. By optimising your operations, you can create a leaner, greener and safer fleet – resulting in improved performance and profits for your business.
New technologies are providing a lot of opportunities for fleets to improve their operations.
Why optimise fleet operations?
There are many reasons why a fleet manager should put time and effort into optimising their operations. Running a more efficient fleet will result in financial benefits, for example, as you identify areas of excessive spending. Thorough planning for optimal routes and improving transport and load efficiency within your business will introduce cost savings by reducing fuel usage, securing cargo safely and maintaining vehicles.
On an individual basis, better optimised fleet operations enables fleet managers to improve organisation of your daily tasks. This can save time and help make sure everything runs smoothly, reducing stress and improving accuracy in what is a busy role.
Optimising operations also contributes towards reducing emissions with lower fuel consumption across your trucks, making your fleet both leaner and greener. Efficient processes also saves time for drivers and back-office staff. As a result, this can speed up deliveries for customers and improve stakeholder satisfaction.
How can you optimise your fleet operations?
There are many ways to optimise your fleet operations, resulting in financial, environmental and safety benefits for your business, including:
- Fuel consumption – Boost your fleet’s fuel efficiency by analysing factors such as driving styles, mileage, vehicle performance and average speed.
- Route planning – By optimising your fleet’s planning and mileage with TX-CONNECT, create the most efficient routes for your drivers. This reduces fuel consumption, mileage, emissions
and driving time.
- Transport and load management – It’s important to avoid over or under loading your vehicles for efficiency, safety and fuel consumption purposes.
- Vehicle maintenance – Detect faults, take preventative action and react quickly to any maintenance issues to help improve vehicle uptime for your fleet.
- Workforce management – Modern technology and digitisation can improve fleet management for a better optimised working environment.
- Customer satisfaction – Save time for yourself and drivers, leading to greater customer satisfaction with reduced delivery times, delays and further problems.
- Compliance – A strong overview of your fleet operations and streamlining processes can highlight any compliance issues.
Optimising your fleet operations is important for fleet performance. If you’re looking for assistance with the efficiency of your business, then check out the range of WABCO best practice guides below to help you optimise your fleet operations.